oven mitts

A few days ago, as I was pulling our piping hot dinner out of the oven, I suddenly noticed how beat up (and downright ugly looking) my oven mitts were. So, as soon as our dinner was finished, I was going through my stash choosing fabric for my new oven mitts, of course :).


I settled on a combination of my most favorite cotton fabric at the moment - Carkai by Carolyn Friedlander, and Essex linen. And, I decided to make two kinds of mitts. The classic mitt is my go to pattern from Denyse Schmidt Quilts book called Too Hot to Handle, and the "pinchy" kind is a free tutorial.


Both of these were fun and quick to make. I followed the oval ones tutorial just the way it was written, the only change I did was add one extra layer of cotton batting to make them more heat proof. I think they will be great for pulling hot bowls and plates out of the microwave.


As far as Too Hot to Handle mitts go, I really like their shape and I made them a few times already so I knew they fit well. The thing I don't like about the pattern is no lining and exposed raw edges. Plus, the pattern calls for only one layer of batting, which I think makes for a pretty, but not usable oven mitts.


So, I made a few adjustments and now I'm super happy with my mitts. I added a layer of Insul-Bright as well as cotton batting to the mitts (Insul-Bright is basted to exterior of the mitt, batting to the lining).


I cut out both exterior and lining panels using the provided template. I used 1/4" seam allowance to stitch the exterior panels together and 1/2" seam allowance to stitch the linings together. I then trimmed the lining seam allowance to make it easier to fit inside the exterior.


Then I gently pushed and coaxed the lining (wrong side out) into the exterior (right side out). I aligned side seams and made sure everything fits in nicely without any puckers.


I used wonder clips to hold both layers together and basted along the top edge using 1/8" seam allowance.


I finished the mitt by attaching 1.5" wide single fold bias strip of fabric to the top raw edge.

That's it. Pretty straight forward, isn't it? A little bit more work, but totally worth it.

Thanks for reading, everyone. Wishing you all a super lovely weekend. Svetlana

Linking up to Finish It Up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.